Joao S Assistance

[17:18] * Yanmei emerged from one of the safehouse's bedrooms slightly before noon. She was frazzled - she hadn't actually meant to sleep in this late, but she managed to cover it up with a certain professional calm. No matter what, she could always retain some sliver of hope that no one would call attention to the mistake. -
[17:21] <Yanmei> She was all geared up: dark armor covered the jeans and blouse she wore, and she had a bag slung over her shoulder. She was even toying with the armor set's visor part, a touch more reluctant to put that on unless a situation called for it. Down the stairs she went, in search of S2 agents and news.
[17:30] <Minaplo> [The agents were sitting in the living room, Terry at their head. Somewhere, someone had rustled up a big trenchcoat for him. He wore it over his robe and other clothes; it made him look even bigger than he was.]
[17:34] <Yanmei> "Gentlemen~" Yanmei snagged her own coat from the back of a chair and slipped it on, momentarily displacing her bag to do it. "Are we all set?"
[17:37] <Minaplo> ["We'll cover you as we go, best we can." Said Vimes. Terence nodded in agreement, opening his coat to reveal his bolter in a snug harness.]
[17:40] <Yanmei> "Thanks. Ah…" She shrugged her bag back on, looking momentarily disquieted about something. "About Miss Rousseau…"
[17:41] <Minaplo> ["The hospital rang. She's under the direct care of Dr. Clement. He says she'll make a recovery."]
[17:42] * Yanmei exhaled, holding back a grin. "That's good news. Has she woken up yet?"
[17:47] <Minaplo> ["Not yet."]
[17:49] * Yanmei nodded, the urge to smile waning. "Soon, maybe." Maybe not, but she didn't want to say that. A bullet to the forehead…
[17:51] <Minaplo> ["He doesn't think there'll be too much permanent damage. It might take a few months for her to recover, but she will." Terry got to his feet.-
[17:52] <Minaplo> ["There's someone suspicious outside." Said Vimes. "Hispanic male, in his twenties, wearing a suit and hat and carrying a box. He's waiting for you. Be careful if you decide to talk to him."]
[17:57] <Yanmei> "…" Yanmei quickly decided what to do with her visor, slipping it onto her head as one might wear a headband instead of pulling it over her eyes. She checked the ammo on her bolter. "Interesting. I'll have a discussion with this guy before we leave?" Yanmei moved for the door. She glanced over her shoulder, wondering if she should even bother to ask for cover…
[17:58] <Minaplo> [Vimes held a walkie-talkie out to her. "We'll be tracking you, but please use this if you need us."]
[18:02] * Yanmei accepted and slipped it into her bag. "With luck, it won't come to that? But I appreciate it. Thanks." Door, now. She turned the knob slowly and glanced out, looking around for the gentleman Vimes had described.
[18:03] <Minaplo> [He was leaning casually against a lean, 70s-looking car. A rather large square box sat on the roof of the car next to him. He tipped his hat at her as she emerged.]
[18:05] * Yanmei emerged fully, coming out a few more feel, keeping well out of his reach. "What can I do for you today?" she said pleasantly.
[18:05] <Yanmei> ^feet
[18:06] <Minaplo> ["Lady Alves sends her regards." Said the man in accented English. "She wishes to apologise for the great misunderstanding that occured yesterday, as well as for the harm done to your friend."]
[18:09] <Yanmei> "I see," she said politely, switching languages to match. "I'm not sure how yesterday was a 'misunderstanding,' exactly. Could you please explain?"
[18:10] <Minaplo> ["Lady Alves did not intend to harm you or your friends, not even Miss Rousseau. The actions were ordered by an underling who, shall we say, jumped the gun. Lady Alves has taken the necessary disciplinary actions." He took the box and held it out to Yanmei. "A gift."]
[18:16] <Yanmei> "I don't wish to be rude, but if you would mind opening it, for me, please?" Yanmei looked faintly apologetic.
[18:17] <Minaplo> ["Completely understandable, madame." He lifted the lid and held the box forward slightly.-
[18:17] <Minaplo> [Inside the box was the head of a man- olive skin, long brown hair, green eyes. A bullet had been lodged directly between the eyes; his frozen expression was one of shock and fear. The head had been severed perfectly at the neck, which was wrapped in bandages.]
[18:19] <Yanmei> "…" Yanmei's eyes widened. It was a minute or two before she could speak again, the calm from before now a bit more strained. "The underling?"
[18:23] <Minaplo> ["The ex-underling is more respectful, madame. To call this an underling implies Lady Alves has disobedient underlings. As you can see, this is not the case."]
[18:28] <Yanmei> "A-ah, yes. We wouldn't want to imply that." Yanmei nodded, trying to keep a certain frenzy out of the bobbing of her head. "Please leave it there. And let Lady Alves know that I appreciate her gesture. I'm not responsible for how NERV as a whole approaches the Alves Group, but they will certainly be informed of these… efforts to set things right."
[18:29] <Minaplo> ["Excellent." He closed the box up. "Lady Alves also has information to impart."]
[18:29] <Yanmei> "…oh?" Information. She tore her eyes away from the head.
[18:31] <Minaplo> ["The man Schwartz, whom your friend was investigating- he was indeed selling weapons to us. However, most of the weapons he acquired for us- stored in his apartment- were stolen by someone besides us. We were not the ones who made him disappear."]
[18:32] <Yanmei> Surprise flashed across her face. She could almost forget the frozen stare from the gentleman in the box at that. Almost. "Was Schwartz himself 'stolen' as well?"
[18:32] <Minaplo> ["Possibly. We do not know for sure."]
[18:33] * Yanmei nodded thoughtfully. "I see. Thank you for the tip."
[18:34] <Minaplo> ["Our pleasure, Madame." Said the man respectfully, stowing the box (and cargo) in the back of his car. "Ah, one other thing."]
[18:35] <Yanmei> "I had a final question of my own. But, yes?"
[18:36] <Minaplo> ["Madame Alves would like me to lend my services to you for the day."]
[18:39] <Yanmei> "I do appreciate the offer, but I already have all the help that I could ever want today. Despite appearences, I'm not exactly alone."
[18:39] <Minaplo> ["You misunderstand, Madame. Lady Alves would also like answers to some questions. Questions that we happen to share."]
[18:44] <Yanmei> "I would be happy to give up that information after the fact. One good gesture deserves another, after all?]
[18:46] <Minaplo> ["Madame, please. We have killed to appease you- is it not fair to ask that I accompany you?"]
[18:50] * Yanmei hesitated. The head was part of the reason -why- she was reluctant. "Is it that important to you?"
[18:52] <Minaplo> ["Lady Alves is determined to ferret out any threats to herself."]
[18:52] <Yanmei> "May I ask what your name is?"
[18:53] <Minaplo> ["Joao, Madame."]
[18:54] <Yanmei> "Mr. Joao. Do you have men nearby, or are you alone?"
[18:54] <Minaplo> ["Alone, except for someone keeping an eye on me in case your guards are overzealous."]
[18:58] <Yanmei> "I will inform my overzealous guards that you and your friend will be following this operation at your own pace. Is this an acceptable arrangement?"
[18:59] <Minaplo> ["Of course. My companion will not need to follow, once he sees me following you he will fall back."]
[19:00] * Yanmei nodded. "There's one last thing."
[19:00] <Minaplo> ["Yes?"]
[19:01] <Yanmei> "How did you know that I was staying here?"
[19:11] <Minaplo> ["We had a tip."]
[19:12] <Yanmei> "From one of our guys?" She was puzzled.
[19:12] <Minaplo> ["Best not to go into detail."]
[19:15] <Yanmei> That made her skin crawl. "Please, just humor me."
[19:16] <Minaplo> ["I don't actually know, madame, but it wasn't from one of your guys."]
[19:17] <Yanmei> "…All right." She didn't look very happy at that. "In any case, I'll relay this development, and will head out."
[19:18] <Minaplo> [He nodded. "I'll follow your lead."]
[15:01] <@Yanmei> So she briefly reported in, fiddled with her phone, and took to he road to Notre Dame. Her very first trip there. -
[15:06] <@Yanmei> It took some time, and many strange looks on the way there, and lots of pretending not to see those looks and friendly smiles during the few times when they could not be ignored. By the time she arrived, tired and limping slightly, she'd just about had it. Why had she agreed to wear this dumb armor again?
[15:15] <Minaplo> [Because it was protective!-
[15:23] <Minaplo> [The Notre Dame Cathedral was- and had been for centuries- a glorious pinnacle of French Gothic architecture. One of the largest churches in the world, it rose from the banks of the Seine to dominate the area around it. Made of huge grey stone and stained glass, despite being in Paris it was one of the least damaged buildings in the entire city.-
[15:24] <Minaplo> [Not perfectly undamaged. Today it was closed to the public- scaffolding around the huge towers- as craftsmen worked on gargoyles and stone edifices.]
[15:27] * @Yanmei gazed up at it warily. He might be somewhere in there. It was no time to let her injuries or uncomfortable attire get in the way of her task. She moved forward, slowly, trying to look unassuming while searching for some sort of repair workers entrance.
[15:28] <Minaplo> [There wasn't, unfortunately. To her it seemed as though the front doors (which were narrowly open) were the only way in.]
[15:30] <@Yanmei> Not ideal, but if that was the only way in… She went for it, casually peeking in first and trying to be quiet.
[15:39] <Minaplo> [Within was a massive hall- her apartment could've fit inside neatly, as could have a fair few others- with elaborate, ornate carvings along the walls, pillars thicker than Terry's entire body, and rows upon rows of pews.-
[15:41] <Minaplo> [At the very end stood the bema, and upon it an altar on raised dais; the altar was an extravagant affair of gold, rising in spires and buildings like a tiny little cathedral all of its own. A gilded chair sat at the very back, currently unoccupied.-
[15:45] <Minaplo> [The building wasn't unoccupied, although considering its size it definitely felt like it. Small groups of men in robes- monks?- were cluttered about the place, looking at the Stations of the Cross. There were also two men in robes by the altar, who were discussing something together.]
[15:49] * @Yanmei moved slowly. She took a side isle trying to look inconspicious about her approach to the alter or any bits of conversation she might happen to catch as she drew closer.
[15:54] <Minaplo> [But the monks were quiet, and spoke softly, and drew away from her as she approached. No luck there.]
[16:01] <@Yanmei> "…" Tsk, fine. She tried calling out to them in a hushed voice, following a few steps. "Excuse me…"
[16:33] <Minaplo> [One of them- they had hoods!- Turned to peer at her briefly. "What?"]
[16:35] <@Yanmei> "Would it be possible to talk to someone privately about something?" She flashed a hopeful smile. Hoods… if he was hiding among them, he'd be able to disguise himself pretty well?
[16:37] <Minaplo> ["Talk to priest." Muttered the man irritably, waving a sleeve at the altar. He turned back to his group.-
[16:37] <Minaplo> ["Sinae." He said, his voice contemptuous.]
[16:47] <@Yanmei> "Thank you so much~" She beamed sweetly at him. "Gan ni niang de pi yan." And she turned to find someone who would, talk to her. Failing that, passageways leading away from the main congregation area…
[16:52] <Minaplo> [Much of the cathedral was dominated by the huge meeting hall, with other areas seemingly not existing- although she'd eventually find a door into what may have been an office! Or set of offices.-
[16:52] <Minaplo> [There was of course the pair of priests on the altar.]
[16:55] <@Yanmei> A sigh. To the priests she went first, lingering until they'd notice her.
[17:01] <Minaplo> [The one closest to her was a rather plump, short little man with thin brown hair.-
[17:01] <Minaplo> [This close, of course, Yanmei would recognise the head of neat, clean blonde hair on the other's head.-
[17:02] <Minaplo> [William!]
[17:04] * @Yanmei stared in utter and complete disbelief. These were the plans he'd buried himself in during the past few days? She cleared her throat softly, trying to catch his attention.
[17:04] <Minaplo> [He glanced over at her, then looked away.-
[17:04] <Minaplo> [A second later he swivelled around in utter surprise. "Yanmei?! What are you doing here?!"]
[17:06] <@Yanmei> "Shhh! Bring it down a notch." She glanced over her shoulder, and then back again. "I'm looking for Gamelin. I'd ask what you're doing, but it's fairly obvious? When were you even ordained?"
[17:07] <Minaplo> ["I'm not." He murmured, walking over. "I'm just helping out with a few things, this is my old habit from the Jesuit mission."-
[17:07] <Minaplo> [And indeed Yanmei would notice the differences now. No collar, and the front was open to reveal his plain white shirt and black trousers. He wore a cape-like cassock over the coat.]
[17:10] <@Yanmei> "Huh. I see. You had me fooled for a moment." She glanced to the shorter brown-haired man that William had been speaking with, and bobbed her head slightly, as if to say, 'Pardon me'.
[17:11] <Minaplo> [The man nodded to her in return and gave her a smile.-
[17:12] <Minaplo> [William left his side, heading over to Yanmei. "What is it?"]
[17:13] <@Yanmei> "Rumor has it that Gamelin has been showing up in this cathedral. Don't suppose you know who I could talk to about that? I'm trying to track down some more clues about where he's hiding."
[17:14] <Minaplo> ["Ah." He glanced back at the other priest. "You should speak to- yes. Go into the office and ask for Bishop Griselles."]
[17:16] <@Yanmei> "Bishop Griselles. Got it. Thanks. I'll… leave you to your work until after we'e done."
[17:17] <Minaplo> [He nodded. "Sorry. Good luck!"]
[17:19] * @Yanmei nodded and gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder as she started to move on. "It's a good look for you." As if he needed to be told. To the offices.
[17:22] <Minaplo> ["Same to you." He replied cheekily.-
[17:24] <Minaplo> [The offices were functional and spartan but also a little peculiar simply due to look. Sandstone walls surrounded computers and computer pads set next to books that looked decades, if not centuries old. Churchmembers ran to and fro, sending messages or doing work.]
[17:27] <@Yanmei> After a second of looking around, Yanmei sought out someone who didn't look terribly swamped and asked to see this Bishop Griselles, as William had recommended.
[17:33] <Minaplo> [A mousy-looking man led Yanmei down a stone corridor to a rich-looking wooden door with a large brass handle.]
[17:34] * @Yanmei gave her smiling thanks to him, and then briskly knocked.
[17:38] <Minaplo> ["Come in."]
[17:39] * @Yanmei did so. "Hello~ I hope I'm not interrupting-" What was the proper way to address him? Your Bishopness? That sounded off. "-sir."
[17:42] <Minaplo> [Bishop Griselles was a tall, gaunt man, clean-shaven with high cheekbones and a head of thinning white hair. He looked austere, but not unkind; stern but not unfair. He wore a pair of glasses over grey eyes. He stared at Yanmei in surprise, then nodded. "Peace be with you, Dame Zhang. I admit I'm surprised to see you here."]
[17:44] <@Yanmei> "It's not a leisure visit, I'm afraid." She closed the door, moving a little further into the room. "I'm searching for something, and was told that you might be able to help me?"
[17:48] <Minaplo> ["I see. Please sit down."]
[17:54] * @Yanmei found a chair. She refused to fidget. That she had the urge to was nearly laughable, considering the station of others who she had sat before. "I believe I should cut to the chase, so that I can let you get back to work, sir. There have been reports of a certain man being sighted around this cathedral. I'm trying hard to find him."
[17:56] <Minaplo> ["This is about the suspicious person with blonde hair and tanned skin."]
[17:57] <@Yanmei> "…!" She went rigid. "How did you know?"
[17:58] <Minaplo> ["That was the description I gave to the police." Said Griselles. "And he is the only truly suspicious person seen on these grounds recently."]
[18:01] <@Yanmei> "… how recently is 'recently', by chance?"
[18:04] <Minaplo> ["Perhaps a week ago."]
[18:07] <@Yanmei> Her brow crinkled slightly. Longer ago than she'd hoped. Couldn't give up, though. "Did he come here to pray?"
[18:11] <Minaplo> ["That's what Father Jean-Baptiste thought as well, but upon closer inspection it was revealed that he was using a mobile phone."]
[18:12] <@Yanmei> "What?! W-what sort of phone? What did it look like?"
[18:19] <Minaplo> ["Black. I could not tell you the model. There was a picture of a young man on the front."]
[18:21] <@Yanmei> "Glasses? Air force uniform? Brown hair?" She realized that she was digging her fingertips hard into the edge of the seat.
[18:21] <Minaplo> ["Yes! That's right."]
[18:23] <@Yanmei> A week ago. Using her cell phone. Like it was his… A red haze began to descend over her thoughts. She… had to battle to keep it at bay. "What was he saying when he was using it?"
[18:25] <Minaplo> ["That's what made him so suspicious. It looked as though he was checking his messages, and he kept murmuring a word to himself over and over."-
[18:25] <Minaplo> ["Excalibur, Excalibur, Excalibur."]
[18:29] <@Yanmei> The haze abruptly dropped. Something that felt like a cold stone forming in the pit of her stomach. "Excalibur…" She remembered the security jamming equipment parts. De Pteres' concern over Anselme's being used to bypass NERV's security. "Is… Was there anything else that was odd about him?"
[18:44] <Minaplo> ["Well, when Father Jean-Baptiste asked him kindly if he was alright- he was dressed very shabbily and looked injured- the man panicked and ran off, dropping the phone."]
[18:46] <@Yanmei> "You have the phone? You didn't give it to the police, did you?" She edged forward.
[19:02] <Minaplo> ["The police decided to pass the problem up to a higher power- that is, NERV. We were told to expect an investigator, which I suppose is you, Madame Chevalier. So, we still have the phone in our possession."]
[19:04] * @Yanmei exhaled, relieved. "In that case, I will take it with me. Thank you. It's important evidence?"
[19:09] <Minaplo> ["Of course." He reached into his desk and took out a clear plastic ziploc bag- within was her phone, safe and whole. He held it out to her.]
[19:10] * @Yanmei accepted it with a smile. "Thanks again. You've been a big help!"
[19:11] <Minaplo> ["Happy to help, Madame Chevalier."]
[19:16] <@Yanmei> "If any more details come to mind about the gentleman we're looking for, please pass them along to my friend, His Emin - ah, I mean William Weiss-Xylander. He seems to be volunteering here. I'm… not really sure what his title is now."
[19:20] <Minaplo> ["He's just a volunteer. He has given great service to our brothers in the Society of Jesus, and of course to all humanity in his new service. Although not a monk- indeed, he is essentially just a lay volunteer- he is well deserving to be called a brother, or even a father. Alas, we simply make do with 'Monsieur'."]
[19:23] <@Yanmei> "Oh." Poor William. Gone were the days when this fellow and all of the assholish monks staying here would have looked up to him. "Well! Thanks again. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon, sir." She made for the door.
[19:23] <Minaplo> ["And to you as well, Madame Chevalier."-
[19:23] <Minaplo> [Back out into the offices…]
[19:25] <@Yanmei> She passed through the offices, and into the showt hallway connecting them to the gathering area of the cathedral before she opened the bag, pulled out the phone, and took a look. Everything in tact? Any new messages?
[19:25] <@Yanmei> ^short
[19:25] <@Yanmei> ^intact :|
[19:27] <Minaplo> [There were a few new messages that were marked as Read but she hadn't seen- messages from the few who knew to contact her via this phone. There was, however, one unread message…]
[19:27] * @Yanmei opened the unread one up at once.
[19:32] <@Yanmei> Another stab of cold dread. Quickly, she looked through the backlog for familiar messages from the Spectre. Were they still there, or had they been deleted to make room for new ones?
[19:32] <Minaplo> [Still there.]
[19:32] <@Yanmei> Not anymore. Delete, delete, delete…
[19:33] <Minaplo> [Soon, the messages were cleared.]
[19:34] <@Yanmei> She looked through the newer ones now, the ones she hadn't seen. Anything else that was incriminating?
[19:34] <Minaplo> [Nothing. Mostly idle chatter.]
[19:35] <@Yanmei> She flicked the phone closed and gazed down at it for a second, puzzling over something. Then she headed out to move to her next location, waving to William if she spotted him again.
[19:35] <Minaplo> [He turned to give her an idle nod.-
[19:36] <Minaplo> [The monks had shifted about now. Somehow a group of the itinerant jerks had managed to park themselves in front of the doors- one of them, the rude one earlier, starting to walk towards her, looking a little apologetic.]
[19:38] <@Yanmei> Ugh. Really? She managed a smile for him though. "Anything I can help you with?" she asked politely.
[19:39] <Minaplo> ["Forgive me for my rudeness earlier, Madame." Said the monk, bowing several times quickly. "Perhaps, if you are curious about what we are doing, we can discuss this elsewhere?"]
[19:43] * @Yanmei eyed him, and then eyed the monks, who seemed to be blocking the only exit out of here. "It's quite all right. But, really, I should be going… I have someplace I need to be. Perhaps another time?"
[19:44] <Minaplo> ["I am afraid there is no other time."-
[19:44] <Minaplo> [There was a bolt pistol in his hand, pointing squarely at Yanmei.]
[19:46] * @Yanmei stared at it. Her gaze traced an invisible line up his arm, to his face. Shit. Too careless!
[19:46] <Minaplo> ["That's right, Zhang. You walked right into our trap." His voice was soft and malicious.-
[19:47] <Minaplo> [The other monks were turning to face her, now. Many of them were throwing their robes off to reveal- heavy duty weaponry.-
[19:47] <Minaplo> ["Now then." Said the one confronting her. "You either come with us, or you die."]
[15:53] <Yanmei> "Let me guess. You're with Alves? And you got some tip about my plans, so you thought you'd try a little payback, right?" Yanmei raised a hand to shift her visor slightly about on her forehead.
[15:55] <Minaplo> ["Don't move." He warned. "Hands up. And no, I'm not with some dirty criminal group. We serve a higher power."]
[16:02] <Yanmei> So that was why he needed all those phones… or security jammers, or whatever. She went still, but she didn't raise her hands. "I'm not seeing much distinction at this point?"
[16:10] <Minaplo> ["You wouldn't, you narrow-minded little doll." Said the man with a sneer. He threw his hood back.-
[16:12] <Minaplo> [He had a handsome face, but it was a cold one, with a small pointed delicate nose that reminded Yanmei of a Raven's beak. He had long white-grey hair tied into a ponytail, and ruthless dark grey eyes. "Only a fool- or an Eva pilot- would be so arrogant as to equate a slimy weapons dealer with our Lord."-
[16:12] <Minaplo> [Behind Yanmei, William and the priest had turned- perhaps alerted by the man's raised voice. The priest began to quickly shuffle forward. "Please! Please, there is no need for this!" He cried desperately. "This is a house of God!"]
[16:18] <Yanmei> "There is no god," Yanmei didn't quite manage a hair-toss, but a rather -smug- look did cross her features. "That's why whatever you're seeking? Is destined to fail. Be smart and release me so that I can go back to saving humanity using its true guardian deity - Science!"
[16:20] <Minaplo> [The priest shot Yanmei a shocked look. William's eyebrows rose even as he began taking steps towards the group.-
[16:22] <Minaplo> ["Do you think I care for that nonsense?" Said the armed man darkly. "You save nothing. It is God's messengers that you slay in your cruel beast, and it is God's prophet that has led you to us."]
[16:24] <Yanmei> "Interesting words from someone benefitting from our cruel beasts… and our mundane technology." She eyed the bolter. "Did Gamelin set you up with that?"
[16:25] <Minaplo> ["This was a gift from Brother Silas." Said the man with a cruel smirk. "Isn't that right, Children of Adam?"-
[16:25] <Minaplo> [The false monks hollered and whooped in response, waving their weapons- which looked for the most part like bolters with a grenade launcher attached to the bottom- in the air.]
[16:33] <Yanmei> And… with their bolters off-target, Yanmei took a chance. She reared back, and let loose a lightning-fast kick aimed at Issac's midsection! "Now!"
[16:43] <Minaplo> [Isaac was -fast-, and Yanmei's kick hit air. His robe was thrown completely off, revealing a dull metallic armour beneath it- but also a scabbard, within which was a katana. He drew it, preparing to strike-
[16:43] <Minaplo> [But William had moved first, tossing a grenade at Yanmei's feet. A cloud of blinding smoke filled the air, completely impenetrable, it seemed, to Yanmei. She couldn't even see Isaac anymore, but she could hear him. "Shoot him! Shoot him!"]
[16:56] <Yanmei> "William! Grab some cover!" Yanmei's voice from the cloud. Twoo bolter shells sailed out, with unerring aim at one of the hooded goons directly behind Issac.
[16:57] <Minaplo> [The bolt ripped the man's chest and arm to pieces- he screamed sharply and painfully before falling, little more than wreckage.-
[17:05] <Minaplo> [There were other gunshots too. Bolt pistols- and the distinctive roar of William's bolt revolver.]
[17:12] <Yanmei> From beyond the little smoke cloud, one could hear static crackles and Yanmei's voice, although what she was saying wasn't clear at all.
[16:57] <Minaplo> [Yanmei could hear gunshots- William letting out a sharp, pained curse- and loud whip-like cracks, the sound of something very fleshy exploding, and howls of abject agony.]
[17:15] <Yanmei> That prompted her into action, darting out of the cloud, her visor tight over her eyes. She beelined for a pillar with none of the hesitation of someone who had been blind this entire time, and slipped her Excalibur replica through the unfortunate false monk behind it, before pressing her back against the secure stone.
[17:18] <Minaplo> [There was the telltale sound of a grenade launcher firing- and she saw a little metal ball bounce off the pillar above her, thonk her on the head before landing at her feet.-
[17:18] <Minaplo> [A little fire symbol had been painted on the side.]
[17:19] <Yanmei> She barely let herself see it before making a dive for it, rolling behind one of the many wooden pews with a curse.
[17:27] <Minaplo> [She could feel the heat of the flames though; pews were being consumed by them!-
[17:27] <Minaplo> [But she had her own problems. Isaac was upon her, now, flashing out with his sword- and it was absurdly sharp. It passed through her armour as though it wasn't even there, leaving a sharp wound across her chest.]
[17:49] <Yanmei> Yanmei gasped in agony, her bolter-wielding hand going for the wound that was left behind… and she retailiated, swinging the small Excalibur at the man's shoulder before springing away, not even bothering to appraise the damage left behind by it. She found another pillar - and William, and pressed an elbow against the stone to keep her balance as her dizziness swelled.
[17:50] <Minaplo> [A roar of furious pain followed in her wake, her assailant stumbling backward- she had given as good as she had got.-
[18:01] <Minaplo> [bolter shells cratered the pillar she hid behind, as did another fire grenade- but they wouldn't be able to do anything before William appeared and dropped another smoke grenade. "Should give us some time. You're hurt!"]
[18:05] * Yanmei was breathing hard, "Thanks. Goddamn him…" She squinted out at their enemies behind her visor. "They'll be hard to hit from here, but at least they're backing off?" -
[18:06] <Yanmei> She reached for the walkie-talkie she was carrying with her, and coughed. "This this Zhang. I need another strike. Aim for the eastern cluster."
[18:25] <Yanmei> "It will be okay," She added, focusing on William through the smoke. Her visor made it easy to see him clearly.
[18:26] <Minaplo> [There was the thunderous sound of wood splintering and crashing from somewhere far off. Yanmei would have seen Terence- in full armour, making him look truly imposing and terrifying- having shoulder-charged the door, ripping it clear off its hinges, running straight down the hall. Behind him she'd see Joao enter, carrying a railgun, looking alarmed.]
[18:45] * Yanmei started at that! And at the flashes of light that signaled the maser fire from NERV's snipers.
[18:46] <Minaplo> [One man's head exploded outwards, gobs of superheated brain matter splattering against the walls and the ground. His jagged stump of a neck burst into flame, and the man ran off- the sparks catching fire easily on the heavy pews.]
[18:51] * Yanmei wasn't above feeling a little bit sick at the grotesque scene, but things were getting noticably toublesome for her too. The fire that had started because of that thrown bomb from before was spreading, its smoke mingling with the stuff cast by Williams' own smoke bomb, the heat of the flames becoming unbearably intense. -
[18:53] <Yanmei> She steeled herself and then made a break for it, dashing across the aisle, into clean air and another opponent. He soon toppled headless while she secured his cover for herself. Another pillar. A deep gasp of clean air…
[18:55] <Minaplo> [… Before the entire area around her was coated in waves of gore.-
[18:56] <Minaplo> [Down the hall, Terence ran through the pillars, shrugging off a haze of maser bolts and bolt rounds. With a clean swipe he beheaded a false monk- the head flying through the air and bouncing to a stop behind him.-
[18:56] <Minaplo> [The two monks who had been guarding the door stared at it- one of them screamed and ran.-
[18:57] <Minaplo> [William stepped forward to mop up now, trying to mercy-kill a monk who was bathed in flames.]
[19:01] * Yanmei followed suit, attempting the same when William's shots failed to bring him down.
[19:14] <Minaplo> [The man's torso exploded like an overripe tomato, spreading gore all over her visor- but the man's many munitions also exploded outward, sending Yanmei tumbling-
[19:14] <Minaplo> [Into a hail of maser bolts!]
[19:19] <Yanmei> It was her mistake… too busy sticking the landing to realize -where- she was landing. A bright white light filled her vision and sharp agony shot through her chest. Heat, pain, all around her, and she could only hear a loud, tinny ringing noise in her ears.
[19:59] <Yanmei> RETCON
[20:04] <Yanmei> It was her mistake… too busy sticking the landing to realize -where- she was landing. A bright white light filled her vision and the smell of burnt ozone filled her nose, but somehow or another the shots missed. "Sh-! You little-! Hey!" She pointed her sword arm far down the aisle in Joao's direction, where one of the last monks fled, screaming. "Catch him! Please! Alive!"
[20:13] <Minaplo> [Joao flew into action, tackling the man to the ground- the fake monk started to shriek.-
[20:13] <Minaplo> ["We have to go!" Shouted William, beelining for the exit.]
[20:14] * Yanmei wasted no time arguing. She followed him, squinting through the smoke that marred their way as the flames spread.
[20:15] <Minaplo> [Out, out- Terry picked the terrified Monk up and threw him over his shoulder as they went.-
[20:16] <Minaplo> [Out… The outside was refreshingly cold and clear compared to the riotously burning interior of the cathedral. Flames were eating their way through tapestries and portraits.-
[20:16] <Minaplo> [William stared back, panting, his face one of dismay and horror. "The cathedral…"]
[20:19] <Yanmei> 'Well, that went well'… was what she wanted to say, giving into the urge to smile brightly about being alive. She couldn't bring herself to, not after seeing William's face. "…Th-they can salvage it? Right?" She aimed a glance at Terry and Joao.
[20:21] <Minaplo> ["My God!" Screamed a voice off to the side. If Yanmei looked she'd see the bishop and his staff, staring at the cathedral with faces of utmost despair. The bishop was staring up at the facade of the cathedral, where the large circular window had shattered.-
[20:21] <Minaplo> ["THE ROSE WINDOW! YOU DESTROYED THE ROSE WINDOW!"-
[20:22] <Minaplo> ["Eight hundred years old…" Groaned another priest, sinking to his hands and knees.]
[20:24] <Yanmei> "M-maybe we should go," Yanmei muttered. They hadn't been the ones with the grenades. No jury in the world would convict them, right?
[20:28] <Minaplo> ["We can debrief at our command post." Said Terry. "Let's go."]
[20:31] * Yanmei nodded soberly. She had a feeling that it would be a long debriefing…

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License