Yanmei S Baptism Of Fire

[21:52] <Yanmei> The forest. It was dense. Awkward to walk around in, compared to the sidewalks of Paris and Beijing. Yanmei moved slowly, warily, scowling at every rustle that crossed her path. Those jerks! Abandoning them like this. -
[21:54] <Yanmei> She rested a hand against a tree trunk to get her bearings before trying to push her way through some shrubs… only to realize that it wasn't a trunk at all. -
[21:56] <Yanmei> It was too hard, too cold, like stone. It -was- stone. Yanmei stared at it. A piller… with things carved into it. She squinted, trying to make out what the dull symbols said.
[21:57] <@AdEvaGM> [But they were too faded, it seemed.]
[21:59] <Yanmei> But this was a good sign, right? The note said that there was no one else here, but there was no way forest animals could have created this. She kept at it, trying to guess how old the thing was before moving on, hopes rising a little. -
[22:09] <Yanmei> It wasn't long before she found something else carved out of stone by literally stumbling over it, and glaring back over her shoulder threateningly, as if she was thinking about kicking it.
[22:09] <@AdEvaGM> [It looked like… The corner of a lid.]
[22:16] <Yanmei> "Ah…?" Yanmei stared. Then… she started to dig with a crude tool she'd found somewhere between the pillar and this spot. It seemed to take forever, and by the end she was gasping with the effort of hauling it out, but it turned out to be… a chest. And inside were coins. Thousands of them, dulled and tarnished by time. -
[22:17] <Yanmei> It was weird. Too weird to leave behind. She shruggled with a way to balance gripping it and the stone digging tool at the same time at first, but it wasn't long before she was hauling it through the trees with her.
[22:22] <Yanmei> ^struggled
[22:30] <Yanmei> Thorns and branches tore at her. An itchy welt began to form on the back of her neck, courtesy of a mosquito that had apparently settled there and drank its fill without her noticing until now. Yanmei grumbled, growing more tired.
[23:10] <Yanmei> It was a while later that she became aware that she was possibly not alone. A bush rustled, and out stepped Lupe. Or, no. It was younger and had different coloring, but it was absolutely a wolf. A -large- one. -
[23:12] <Yanmei> She tried to slip away. The chest she was dragging didn't make that an easy task, rattling loudly as soon as she tried to shift away.
[23:12] <@AdEvaGM> [The wolf turned, baring teeth. "Grrrrr….!"]
[23:13] <Yanmei> "Crap crap crap!" She turned and bolted as fast as she could, running blindly, chest bumping against roots and rocks as she went. Before long, she was alone again, panting. -
[23:17] <Yanmei> And when she finally had the mind to look up, she found… paradise. Almost. True paradise would have been a four-star hotel with a pool and a shopping center. This was just a cave with lots of bunnies hopping around. She moved for it, scraping herself up on a few more plants and feeling… better? Huh. She snagged a few for later, and continued to explore.
[23:17] <@AdEvaGM> [A cave- a warm, snug, innocent cave- she found, safe from the rain and the elements…]
[23:23] <Yanmei> Yanmei sat down wearily, and drank some water. The sound of a rushing stream caught her ears, and she stepped out of the cave and shuffled toward it to top off her canteen. "There. This survival thing? Totally easy!" She put it away, and took one last look around, noting the location for later.
[23:40] <@AdEvaGM> [Odd. It seemed to be getting warmer…]
[23:42] <Yanmei> It was getting warmer. Yanmei walked until she couldn't take it anymore and had to take a break. By that time, thankfully, she had found another clearing, with an odd patch of dirt that looked out of place right in the center of it. She gripped her shovel and began to dig, face brightening a little at the thought of more treasures.
[23:42] <@AdEvaGM> [… Treasures?-
[23:42] <@AdEvaGM> [She found… A shaft. A round shaft.-
[23:42] <@AdEvaGM> [But a second after her shovel broke the 'roof', skulls started pouring into the shaft. They stared at her with empty, leering grins.]
[23:56] * Yanmei gasped, stumbling backward. So… so gross and creepy! Ewww! She started to cover them back up in a hurry, but then paused. Reached down and picked up one of the skulls by the jawbone, holding it away from her body with a delicate thumb and index finger. There would be some use for this later. -
[23:56] <Yanmei> The only downside was having to -carry- the darn thing, but it would probably be worth it in the end.
Session Time: Sun Apr 08 00:00:00 2012
[01:37] <Yanmei> - - - -
[01:38] <Yanmei> The second day was hot and sticky. Yanmei moved her aching body over the sands of the beach, a long, long trail of footprints left behind. -
[01:39] <Yanmei> She passed another grave, collecting firewood on the way, and so a whole lot of nothing, and a stylish bird that took off at her gunfire.
[01:41] <Yanmei> At one point, the ground became rocky and and fell. At another point, she spotted a horrible-smelling goo oozing from a plant and forming a sticky puddle where the roots met the sandy ground. But these were just the occassional odd sights. #
[02:31] <Yanmei> The rain began to fall, and she picked up the pace, spotting something in the distance. Houses? Civilization! Warm baths! Condiments and spice for their meat, or better yet, free prepared food! Yanmei broke into an eager run! -
[02:34] <Yanmei> But the sight up close was disappointing. The houses - small single-room huts, really, were rotting, practically falling down. She stopped short, scrutinizing them from the outside with a sinking feeling. Then she approached more slowly. "Hello?" she called out, with dampened spirits. She tried smiling in case anyone actually was there. "Is anyone home? Can you help us? We were abandoned here by our cruel and insane employ
[02:34] <Yanmei> - employers…"
[02:35] <@AdEvaGM> [Nothing but the ghostly whistling of wind through trees…]
[02:37] <Yanmei> "…" Yanmei approached sadly, easing into the nearest hut. The door was left completely open and there wasn't much to see inside. -
[02:37] <Yanmei> She did the same with the others, one by one, but there was nothing.
[01:23] <Yanmei> The move to the new camp had taken less time than expected. Yanmei tried to occupy herself with digging a trench to keep those darn woodland bandits at bay, but she started to get tired before too much of it was done. -
[01:24] <Yanmei> So she took a break, sauntering into the woods itself. "Back in a minute~" She called back over her shoulder, although she wasn't sure if Aline could even hear her through the thick walls of the cave. Oh well. She'd be back before she knew it.
[01:26] <AdEvaGM> [The path turned into a gloomy forest, with trees so tall she couldn't see the tops; like a natural cathedral, it blocked outside sound and magnified inside sound…]
[01:28] <Yanmei> "W-wow." It certainly was an impressive sight. One didn't see trees this big in cities and suburbs of Beijing or Paris. But she was starting to feel uneasy, too. Hastily, she decided to turn back.
[01:31] <Yanmei> But the path she'd taken to get here… which one had it been…?
[01:32] <AdEvaGM> [There were sounds around her…]
[01:33] <Yanmei> "…" She walked quickly. She was sure it had been this way. Yeah, absolutely! H-had to be… Was that a wolf's cry she heard? Had to hurry up!
[02:06] <Yanmei> ========
[02:07] <Yanmei> Hours. She had been walking for hours, and this part of the woods was no less strange and unfamiliar than the rest of it. Where was the camp? Her stomach growled loudly. "D-Damn it. If anyone -is- watching, they had better not be laughing!"-
[02:10] <Yanmei> A dead end, at a sheer drop off a very tall cliff. Yanmei stared down into it wide-eyed, and then hastened away. The light was growing dimmer as the sun set. Maybe it was better not to wander around so much when she couldn't see? There was a noise just up ahead, and she froze in her tracks, hand on her knife. -
[02:11] <Yanmei> But it wasn't a wolf. Just an adorable bundle of fur~
[02:12] <AdEvaGM> [It was small, obviously a bear cub from its fur and shape. What it was doing here was a mystery- had it been abandoned, lost? Stolen? It mewled helplessly, a tiny, pathetic little sound. "Muuu… Muuu…"]
[02:17] <Yanmei> Lost? Abandoned by the bigger bears that were supposed to take care of it? The more she listened, the more she couldn't take that pitiful, awful sound. She clenched her jaw, and reached for the ground, and hurled a stone at the little cub. "Scram, you little jerk!"
[02:18] <AdEvaGM> ["Mu-u-u."-
[02:19] <AdEvaGM> [It quivered and shook at her, clearly terrified. Whatever Yanmei wanted, it wasn't going anywhere fast- anytime it tried to put weight on one of its back legs it toppled over, mewling in pain.]
[02:22] <Yanmei> "…" So it was injured or something? Well, whatever. Angrily, she turned and started to stalk away.
[02:24] <AdEvaGM> ["Muu-Muu…" It dragged itself pathetically after her.-
[02:25] <AdEvaGM> [There was a howl- a wolf, somewhere near by, and the tiny little bear cub began to clearly cry in its own animal way- as alone and defenseless as it was, it knew what the sound meant and anything was better than it. "M-M-Muu-!"-
[02:26] <AdEvaGM> ["Mu-u-u…"]
[02:29] <Yanmei> "…" Yanmei crouched down. She scowled at it, emotions mixing. If Lizzie had been in a predicament like this one… Oh for god's sake, it was a -bear-, not a baby! "I'm going to abandon you first thing in the morning. Understand?"
[02:30] <AdEvaGM> ["Mu-u…" It clearly didn't- it stared up at her with desperate eyes of hope beyond hope. It crawled towards her. "Muu."]
[02:31] * Yanmei groaned. She reached out to scratch it behind the ears in an attempt to calm it. "I don't have any food, but whatever. Let's find someplace where you can rest."
[02:32] <AdEvaGM> ["Muu!" It patted at her hand, fur warm and soft.]
[14:50] * Yanmei didn't sleep much. It was cold enough to make her teeth chatter, and her empty stomach was enough to keep her awake on its own. When morning came, she was almost happy to climb to her feet and to start off, looking around bearily, one arm looped around a squirming, mewling bear cub as if it was, in fact, a stuffed animal. -
[14:50] <AdEvaGM> ["Muuu." Warm eyes stared at her with animal affection.]
[14:51] <Yanmei> "… don't get too attached," she warned. "If we get attacked by something I'm dropping you and running." -
[14:53] <AdEvaGM> [It quietly snuggled up to her, head against her side like Lizzie used to.]
[14:57] * Yanmei groaned under her breath. "I do mean it." But at the first dangerous creature to cross their paths - a snake - she forgot about such plans and hurried away from it. More followed that. A dog. The woods themselves, growing so thick that it blocked out the light again and made it hard to figure out which way was west and which was east.
[15:02] <Yanmei> There were less dangerous things too, one they found their way again. Supplies found along the way. An elk that could be charged at and cut down out of frus- food requirements. A strange stone thing jutting out of the ground. She stared at it a moment, not comprehending, and ran a hand over it before moving on. Maybe she could come back with someone when her situation was less desperate.
[15:02] <Yanmei> ^once they
[15:08] <Yanmei> She walked until her arms ached with carrying her load, and her legs felt wobbly. The sun had risen overhead, and was now dropping toward the horizon, and nothing looked all that familiar. The woods died away into a cracked, lifeless desert for a kilometer or two, and then inexplicably came back, with a pond teeming with leaping salmon. "Huh. Looks like bear heaven?"
[15:10] <AdEvaGM> ["Muu." Grizzie stared down at the pond, reaching a tiny paw towards it.]
[15:12] <Yanmei> "Later, alright? We have to get back to familiar territory before something else tries to kill us." As if on cue, she spotted something just up ahead, two large, lumbering shapes, and froze instinctively.
[15:13] <AdEvaGM> [Bears. Two of them, fully grown. They didn't notice her yet…-
[15:13] <AdEvaGM> [Grizzie snuggled into her, clearly terrified.]
[15:15] * Yanmei frowned down at the cub, and tried to back away. *KER-SNAP* A twig broke under her shoe, and she jumped slightly.
[15:15] <AdEvaGM> [They turned.-
[15:15] <AdEvaGM> ["RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"]
[15:19] <Yanmei> "Fuck!" Any and all sneaking completely abandoned, Yanmei turns and fled, full-speed into some blind direction. She only stopped to catch her breath after was sure that she couldn't run anymore, throwing a wild look over her shoulder. Fangs and claws. They would be reaching out to her any second…
[15:20] <AdEvaGM> [Silence…-
[15:20] <AdEvaGM> [The bears were gone.-
[15:20] <AdEvaGM> [She'd run a lot. A whole lot. In fact, she found herself in a place that was -familiar-…-
[15:20] <AdEvaGM> [The skull pit.]
[15:23] * Yanmei stared incredulously. Relief trickled back into her. The skulls! Those digusting, beautiful skulls! That meant… she was almost back at the camp! "Yay!" She hurried past the pit now, and into more familiar woods. "If that's true then… it's just up ahead! Let's go!"
[15:23] <AdEvaGM> ["Muu-uu!"]#
- - -
[01:57] * Aline was trudging through the snowy wilderness, moving around. "Remember, we need to keep time very precisely. I know about the right time that the sun'll hit, when we should head back…" She was muttering this, despite speaking to Yanmei.
[01:59] <Yanmei> "I know, I know." Yanmei was trying to shield her eyes from the blowing snow. It stung. "In spite of this mess, it feels good to be walking around again?"
[02:03] * Aline waved her hand. "Right, now you know how I felt, you know? Anyway, it's been mostly boring out here…"
[02:04] <@AdEvaGM> [There was a #hum#.-
[02:04] <@AdEvaGM> [It reverberated through the ground, through their feet and bodies- the trees around them trembled…]
[02:06] * Yanmei looked around sharply. An earthquake! Or an erupting volcano..? "Sh-! So much for boring! Get down!"
[02:08] * Aline didn't need to be told twice, and ducked for cover in a nearby snowdrift. "Fuck, I should learn not to /say/ those things!"
[02:09] <@AdEvaGM> [A wave of force ripped the trees from their roots, whipping through their hair, sending massive amounts of snow up into the air…-
[02:10] <@AdEvaGM> [But it revealed something to them. Something horrifying.-
[02:12] <@AdEvaGM> [100 metres tall, built like a vague crustacean of some kind, with glowing, burning eyes, covered in black armour plating that seethed with molten heat. The ground around it was burning and blacking…-
[02:12] <@AdEvaGM> [Steam rose from the air in great torrents as the cold snow met burning heatwave.-
[02:13] <@AdEvaGM> [But they'd notice, a second later, something horrific- the armour was moving, not because the Angel was moving, but because things were falling off of it. Spawn. Angelspawn- hundreds of them.]
[02:14] * Aline looked at Yanmei, mouth agape. For a second, she said nothing. For another second, nothing. But on the /third/ second? "…We are beyond fucked."#
[02:18] * Yanmei didn't answer at first. She was… smiling? No, laughing. A cracked, incredulous sound. "Oh… oh good. I thought we were actually going to -live-! We couldn't have that, now, could we? Hahaha…ha… Back to camp… Now!"#
[02:35] * Sept finally reached the Skald Geofront, stopping inside in the shelter to catch his breath. He looked at their defenses in turn, at the moat, at the pistol, the axes and blades… What use would they be now? Or had he imagined it? Was he just going mad?
[02:44] <Aline> Soon thereafter, though, was the first in a team of two. Aline arrived, huffing and panting loudly. She almost instantly caught sight of Sera, and practically yelled at him. "Sera… Angel. /Angel/ on the island. Big one. Hundreds
[02:44] <Aline> *Hundreds of spawn. We're fucked. We are /fucked/."
[02:47] <Sept> The plain fear on Sera's face soon turned into terror. "…I wasn't wrong. What do we need? A.. a plan. What do we do?"
[02:49] * Yanmei came up the rear, the snow she had kicked up settling back down again. She made for the cave immediately. "We head to the coast. NERV will detect the Angel. We just need to be in plain sight when the send someone?" She grabbed an elk-skin sack. "We take food, supplies - necessities - and we head south."
[02:53] <Sept> "Got it." Sera set to work immediately, throwing the least spoiled foodstuffs and tools into chests for transportation, running back and forth among their storage.
[02:54] * Aline was piling up some of their weaponry and tools into the chest as well, and continued to pant.
[03:00] <Aline> —-
[03:00] <Aline> Later, later on, they would reach the beach, Aline /still/ worn out and panting. "Oh /god/ I hope they had a VTOL nearby and are scrambling them already because of the AT detection…"
[03:02] <Sept> "Of course they did. They… the island itself -has- to have something."
[03:03] * Yanmei didn't look much better, although she was trying desperately too, her sack of supplies hanging from a sagging shoulder. She skimmed the snowy waters and air frantically as her boots crunched over the sand. "God damn it. This weather…"
[03:03] <@AdEvaGM> [Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. The sound of something heavy behind them…]
[03:04] * Aline turned. "N-now… what…"
[03:05] <@AdEvaGM> [There was a mechanical sound- a voice, filtered through speakers of some kind…-
[03:05] <@AdEvaGM> ["Hold, Pilots! I would not quarrel with you at the moment!"]
[03:06] <Sept> "…it speaks." Sera managed to say.
[03:06] * Yanmei swiveled sharply, hand on her axe. That voice didn't sound like anyone she knew. "And you are…?"
[03:07] * Aline looked at Sera incredulously. "That's rude! Iron Guards are still humans!"
[03:07] <@AdEvaGM> [It emerged from the trees, nine feet tall, covered in armour and wielding obviously a bolter.-
[03:08] <@AdEvaGM> ["It is good to see that some still acknowledge our roots, but nevertheless he is right to assume that I am less than human." He held his bolter into the air by one hand. "I am Captain Terence Savage- but that isn't important. I come to parley."]
[03:13] <Yanmei> "You'll forgive us if we're a bit suspicious, Captain Savage? This has been a very stressful day. Put away your weapons first, please."
[03:14] <Aline> "Well, maybe just lower it…" Aline confided. "What with the Angel and all, I wouldn't fault a loaded bolter at ready."
[03:15] <@AdEvaGM> [He slapped the bolter against his leg, where it magnetised. "When is your evac coming?"]
[03:15] <Sept> "…right. However much good a bolter would do against an Angel. We just need time, Terence. As much as we can get."
[03:16] * Aline nodded likewise and hence. "I don't know how close it is, but they'd probably have sent it as soon as they got the AT Detection Grid ping… which was probably about 2 hours ago."
[03:17] <Yanmei> "And what of yours, Captain? Or am I right in guessing that's why you've come to parley?"
[03:17] <@AdEvaGM> ["Yes." He turned his head.-
[03:18] <@AdEvaGM> ["…" He grabbed the bolter in one swift motion and tossed it to Yanmei.]#
[03:20] * Yanmei caught it, startled, but her hands turned sure once the weapon was safely in them. She aimed in his direction - or behind him, to be more precise. "More coming?"
[03:22] <@AdEvaGM> ["Yes. A wave." He drew his sword. "I slew two of them outside your cave, but there are far more than two of them here."]
[03:23] * Aline nodded grimly, raising her dinky little pistol and pointing it in the same direction Yanmei had. "Hundreds in a mere minute, off the Angel itself. By god I know how this is going to go."
[03:27] <@AdEvaGM> [There was a sound- a scream that rose hairs beyond. A sound that was echoed a hundred times over…-
[03:27] <@AdEvaGM> [They came, waves of them. They looked- in shape, appearance, how they fought- just…-
[03:27] <@AdEvaGM> [Like Gazardiel.-
[03:27] <@AdEvaGM> ["NOW!"]
[03:29] <Yanmei> Semi-auto fire. Explosions swept across the first few. Yanmei clenched her jaw, and refocused again, ready to let more loose.
[03:30] * Aline preferred to aim and snipe, going for weakpoints and opened wounds, in order to make her weaker bullets count. And to stretch her ammunition as far as it would go!
[03:31] * Sept stood his ground a bit longer than the others, picking a few off with his pistol before tossing it away and charging the ones that got too close. Though it wasn't long before a few too many Spawns started 'getting too close'…
[03:32] <@AdEvaGM> [They leapt, some of them, flying through the air- one of them sailed past Sera and pinned Aline to the ground, eyeless visage against her's, sickle-blades slicing…]
[03:34] * Aline would desperately chop at it like a tree with the axe she also carried, but… she couldn't help but bleed profusely from a myriad of cuts…
[03:35] * Yanmei aimed a sharp kick at that one, as hard as she could. But it meant taking her eyes off the swarm for a moment.
[03:35] <Sept> And there was little Sera could do to help either of them, knee-deep in Angels as he was.
[03:35] <@AdEvaGM> [It was kicked aside…-
[03:36] <@AdEvaGM> [And exploded as Terence shot it with his bolt pistol. "They're thinning! Hold f-"-
[03:36] <@AdEvaGM> [But whatever he said next was drowned out. A shadow crossed over, long in the evening sun.-
[03:36] <@AdEvaGM> [The profile of EVA-08.]
[03:38] <Yanmei> Yanmei could only spare a quick look up before returning to more pressing matters. "Heh. He's in a bad mood."
[03:38] * Aline cried out in pain, at first, but after the report of some of her last rounds - pistol discarded, axe now braced in both hands - it turned into one of rejoicing. "Yes! They've arrived!"
[03:39] <@AdEvaGM> [The Evangelion swept its long claws across the ground, gouging away hundreds of them in one swipe. Before long, EVA-09 and EVA-10 joined it…-
[03:40] <@AdEvaGM> [There was also the hum of a VTOL nearby- it lowered towards them, kicking up sand. The doors opened, and bolter fire spat out- Marianne sat crouched in the doorway, wearing her new power armour. "Hurry! Get inside!"]
[03:42] <Yanmei> "Hurry up! Blanc, you first! De Pteres!" Yanmei back toward the VTOL, covering with her own fire.
[03:44] <@AdEvaGM> ["Urgh!" There was a roar as Terence- one-handed- picked up a Spawn and snapped it across his knee, throwing it aside. He began to pull back to Yanmei. "You owe me, Zhang!"]
[03:44] * Aline nearly dashed - okay she really did dash at breakneck speed into the open VTOL. "Well, it looks like we don't die today." She commented as she clutched her - bleeding - arm a bit. Unlike other times, she didn't seem nearly as fussed about the gaping wound. Being mauled multiple times tends to have that kind of effect…#
[03:45] * Sept fought himself off a Spawn, nearly tripping as he backed off toward the aircraft. "I… I've got this!" He shoved one more of them away, turned around, and all-out sprinted into the VTOL.
[03:47] <Yanmei> "Much obliged?" She seemed, again, a little caught off guard, but she rallied, slipping into the vehicle herself once the other two pilots were on. "Let's go, Captain!"
[03:48] <@AdEvaGM> [He turned and ran, leaping onto the VTOL- Marianne sparing him a questioning look but not bothering to ask questions.-
[03:49] <@AdEvaGM> [The VTOL's door closed, and it took off, heading away from the island at top speed…-#
[03:50] <@AdEvaGM> [Outside the window, they could see the Angel rise above the forest canopies- the forests themselves burning and smoking. Its rear armour split in half, revealing a long, glowing spike- energy ran down the middle.-
[03:51] <@AdEvaGM> [Power crackled across its flesh, and it rose like a spider about to leap… It fired, an actinic beam of searing energy, as hot as the sun, burning through the air at EVA-09.-
[03:51] <@AdEvaGM> [Rei dodged- it missed. The beam missed.-
[03:51] <@AdEvaGM> [But such was its power that 09's right arm vaporised right then and there, taking a chunk of the torso with it. A scream echoed over the comms.-
[03:51] <@AdEvaGM> [The shockwave of the beam was enough to jostle the VTOL, sending Marianne hurtling against a wall.]#

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License